Yeah, I've been MIA for a little bit because I've been making the same things over and over... A couple days ago, I got an email from a reader asking me where all the food porn went, so I want to thank you all for sticking with me.
And speaking of sticking...here's a sticky treat for you: a recipe! This is something I made on a whim: Sticky Sweet Purple Fried Rice (but not really just rice...)
I actually used more than just the typical boring rice. Bwahaha, I hid all the nutritious stuff in.
This recipe incorporates millet, barley, brown rice, and black rice with jewel yam. It works best if you have a rice cooker.
Here's what you need:
1 cup brown rice
1/4 cup black rice
1/4 cup millet
1/4 cup pearl barley
1 jewel yam (they work better than garnet yams)
1 bag of mixed frozen veggies
1. Wash the rice, millet, and barley until the water runs clear. Place in rice cooker.
2. Wash and chop jewel yam into chunks. Layer on top of rice. There is no need to mix.
3. Add water until it barely covers all the contents.
4. Cook in rice cooker until done.
5. Heat a non-stick pot and add a bit of oil. Add the frozen veggies and stir-fry. Add salt to taste.
6. Add the rice and stir.
And that's pretty much about it. :)
It's surprisingly sweet without any additive sugars and so much more nutritious than white rice.
Feel free to adjust amounts to your liking.
Tip: Keep the rice cooker away from walls. Black rice stains and it's a pain to clean if it splatters.